I am a Hopeless Romantic...and a Bookaholic
I am more than just a writer. I am an observer of life. Give me an ice-cold Cherry Coke, and my life is an open book. I love Lemon Head candy, graham crackers, and milk, traveling, taking long naps, and reading books of all genres. The most important thing about me? I am an incurable romantic. I love happy endings.
I was born in St. Louis, Missouri, a city I love. Before St. Louis actually became my permanent home, my family lived in Milwaukee, Wisconsin: a ridiculously cold city in a ridiculously cold state. At just 25 years old, I migrated back to St. Louis, and my life changed. I have been a special needs teacher, a nanny, a corporate trainer, an Internet radio station owner, a podcast host, and finally, a writer. A self-professed insomniac, I do my best work at 3:00 am. When I’m not writing, I spend most of my time traveling, going to Broadway shows, and pretending I inherited a singing gene so I can belt out show tunes from my favorite cast albums. I am, also, an avid golf fan (watching, not playing).
The best thing I ever did for myself was move to London, UK to study Interdisciplinary Ethics. It sounds lofty, but I did get to study the European philosophers in their own backyard. While in London, I found my “own” adult voice and that, more than anything else, led me to writing.
Now, I leverage my life experiences into short stories and personal essays. Those are my two favorite writing genres, but I’m currently working on a novel set during Pope John Paul II’s 36-hour visit to St. Louis in 1999. Click HERE to follow my Novel Ideas Page, and share my adventures as I write my first book.
I saw the movie “She’s Gotta Have It” in the theater when it premiered in 1986. I heard about it from many of my friends, and I wanted to see what it was all about. It was also the first time I heard Spike Lee’s name. He was a Black director and I wanted to support him. As it turned out, I loved the movie. It was as timely for me then, as it is now in 2022…some 36 years later. I didn’t watch the Netflix version of “She’s Gotta Have It” because the movie was so special. Follow the link above, and fall in love with Nola Darling’s liberated voice.
Fun Facts About Me
- I prefer swimming in rivers and streams rather than pools.
- Some people live “by the book.” I’m not one of them, and I’m just beginning to appreciate the space I occupy in the universe.
- Whales are magnificent, awe-inspiring creatures. I love them.
- James Baldwin is my favorite writer, but Norman Mailer is a close second.
- As a huge CASTLE fan, I would love to meet Nathan Fillion one day. I hear he’s a nice guy.
- I am a Pisces. ‘Enuf said.
- Spike Lee and Alfred Hitchcock directed some of my favorite movies. She’s Gotta Have It is still as fresh as it was in 1986.
- I’m not a very adventurous eater. I only eat chocolate and vanilla ice cream.
- I lived in London, UK while attending Regent’s College. London and New York are my two favorite cities because they are big and I can be anonymous.